Friday, November 1, 2013

Resilience

Every Tuesday, Jim Bruce from MOR Associates sends out a synopsis of an article he thinks is interesting for leaders.  This week's article is "Surprises Are the New Normal;  Resilience Is the New Skill," by Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Ernest L. Arbuckle Professor at the Harvard Business School.  The article appears in the Harvard Business Review Blog Network.

This article really made my day and my week.  I've been feeling buffeted by change and challenges lately and wondering what to do about it.  Moreover, I've been having a hard time forgiving myself for my mistakes.  According to Professor Kanter,
"... the real skill is the resilience to climb out of the hole and bounce back."
According to Kantor, resilience is built on the cornerstones of confidence, which are:
  • accountability (taking responsibility and showing remorse)
  • collaboration (supporting others in reaching a common goal)
  • initiative (focusing on positive steps and improvements)
Kanter also refers to her book, "Confidence:  How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End."  I intend to buy this soon.  It's also important to note that resilience comes from values and character, not from arrogance and narcissism.  If you are feeling short on resilience, be sure to read this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment