Friday, October 25, 2013

Critical Thinking, Criticism, and Problem Solving

In higher education, we talk often about the value of critical thinking.  We want our students to learn to be critical thinkers.  Wikipedia gives a whole list of definitions of critical thinking, but here is one I particularly like:
Critical thinking is a tool by which one can come about reasoned conclusions based on a reasoned process.
Criticism is a related activity, but there are some differences.  Here is Wikipedia's definition:
Criticism is the practice of judging the merits and faults of something or someone in an intelligible (or articulate) way.
 Finally, we have problem solving.  It seems to me that the first step in problem solving is recognizing that there is a problem and defining it.  This requires critical thinking, or maybe criticism.  After all, you can't solve a problem if you don't know what it is.

So what's not to like about all of this?  Like almost any good human attribute, there is a flip side.  If you let your critical thinking flip into negativity, then you will have a hard time getting support from others in solving the problem.  If your criticism is too harsh, then the recipient will have a hard time accepting it, since he or she will become mired in feeling bad and won't hear the message.

I value my skill as a critical thinker and a problem solver, but I sometimes struggle in giving criticism.  What helps me in this realm is to keep balance in mind.  I must balance my critical thinking with compassion and diplomacy.  And like a lot of people, I can be my own worst critic, so I have to remind myself to keep that important balance when I am working on self improvement.

Leaders must be critical thinkers, they must solve problems, and they must offer criticism.  The trick is to employ balance to do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment