Friday, June 7, 2013

The Value of Focus

It is so easy to lose focus in this age of multitasking.  The article, Train Your Brain to Focus, by Paul Hammerness, M.D., and Margaret Moore, appeared in the Harvard Business Review Blog Network in 2012.  I encourage you to read their article to find out more about the three techniques they recommend:
  • Tame your frenzy.
  • Apply the brakes.
  • Shift sets.
I had an interesting experience this week regarding my own attempt to multitask.  While listening to a very long vendor demonstration, I thought I could do a fairly mindless job of cleaning up my email labels.  However, it appeared that I may have deleted some important folders in the process.   Panic ensued, or frenzy, to use the authors' terminology.  After hunting a bit more, I find that I didn't actually delete them, but I did rename them in an odd way that made them hard to find.  So, I will recover, but my attempt to multitask was a bit of a failure.  And I confess that I didn't do as good a job evaluating the vendor demonstration as I should have done, either.

I am reminded of the old mantra to "be in the moment."  It's really not possible to focus on more than one thing at a time, so when I try to multitask, I miss things.  I am resolved to be more focused in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment