Friday, May 24, 2013

The Importance of Rest and Renewal

I'll be on vacation next week, so I won't be posting on May 31.  Looking ahead to my vacation led me to think about the importance of taking time to renew.

Years ago, when I went on vacation, I tried hard to avoid checking email or voice mail while I was away.  Now, with advances in technology and changing expectations, I find it harder to stay away from work.  I'll probably check my email for important items while I am away, but I'm going to try hard not to be drawn into work.

Even this approach is a bit suspect, though.  It may take five minutes to scan my email, but when I do, I get pulled back psychologically, even if I choose to take no action.  Taking a vacation means getting away from it all, resting, and renewing one's emotional as well as physical energy.  If technology keeps me from never truly getting away, am I taking full advantage of my vacation time?

Mobile devices make it so easy to check in quickly and often.  I often listen to podcasts on my iPhone when I go to sleep at night.  But opening my phone to get to the iPod draws my attention to the unread email at the same time.  I try to resist, but I don't always succeed.

Please join me in working on resisting the always-on approach to work.  We all need our rest.  When we allow ourselves time to renew, we come back with new ideas, approaches, and energy.  We do our best when we get away sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment