Friday, April 5, 2013

Talking with Students about Leadership

I am looking forward to giving a guest lecture in a colleague's computer science class next week.  Even though the topic is ethics, I think I'll find a way to slip in a few things about leadership while I am at it.  After all, if the leader doesn't set the right goals and personal example for ethical behavior, how likely is is that the department or company will act ethically?

I am pretty sure that when I was an undergraduate, I didn't think much about leadership.  And thinking back over my educational career, I don't remember much instruction about leadership.  It's likely that is a part of a good education in business schools, but I wonder why it isn't taught more widely across disciplines.  Certainly in higher education, we talk frequently about critical thinking skills.  But we are also educating the leaders of tomorrow, so why not teach leadership across the disciplines?

If you are a faculty member or a supervisor of a student employee, and if you are reading this blog, I hope you will give some thought to building in some time with your students to talk about leadership.  You will be doing our entire society a favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment