Friday, April 12, 2013

Building Your Leadership Skills

Last week I talked about preparing to speak to a class of undergraduates about leadership.  I did that yesterday, and the experience was very enjoyable.  They asked great questions, and I had a good time formulating answers.  As is often the case, both in IT and in leadership, the questions can be quite complex, and consequently the answers are often difficult to frame correctly.

I offered them these ways to develop leadership skills:
  • Watch others
  • Read books and articles about leadership
  • Read my blog (ldeneen@blogspot.com)
  • Take a class or a workshop
  • Think about how you want to impact the world
Yes, I realize that third one is a bit self serving.  Forgive me!

I also enjoyed writing a letter of recommendation for a younger colleague who is applying to graduate school.  When I asked her what her goals are for working on a graduate degree, she pointed to these skills that learners are expected to develop in the program:
  • critical reflection
  • investigation and application of educational theory to practice
  • evaluation, execution and effective communication of educational research
  • intercultural competence
  • the creation and participation in communities of learners as professionals
  • leadership for educational reform
Just reading this list makes me enthusiastic about her future and the value that education brings to us all.  And here is a program that does emphasize leadership.  So here's to learning!


No comments:

Post a Comment