Friday, December 21, 2012

Celebrating Years of Leadership

Today I attended two retirement parties, both for long-time leaders at the UMD campus.  I am reflecting on the many years of leadership provided by these fine people.  

Steve Patterson has been an IT leader at UMD for forty years.  I have had the great pleasure of working with Steve for the past twenty years.  Steve has been a manager in ITSS for longer than I have been director.  Part of his leadership has been in mentoring me to be the best director I can be.  At his party, I offered this quote from Amy Rees Anderson:  "Success Will Come and Go, But Integrity is Forever." 

Judith Karon has been the UMD Director of Human Resources for the past twenty-four years.  She has been a tireless leader as well as a good friend.  Judith has also been a great mentor to me as I have worked through a number of personnel issues.  Most administrators, when asked what is the most difficult part of their job, will respond, "personnel issues."  Having Judith on my side has made this part of my job very much easier.

Please join me in celebrating the legacy of these two fine leaders.  And Happy Holidays to you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment