Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Leadership in Online Classes

When students take an online class that requires participation in an online class discussion forum, do their submissions say anything about leadership?

I was interested in this article that I read today in the Chronicle of Higher Education:
What a Tech Start-Up’s Data Say About What Works in Classroom Forums
by Jeffrey R. Young

In this article, a company that manages online discussion forums for 545 colleges and universities did some data analysis and reached some interesting conclusions.  One particularly interesting conclusion is this:  "One of the clearest trends was that students at highly selective universities are far more likely to ask questions anonymously than are students at other institutions."  I will leave you to read the article for thoughts about why this might be a bigger problem at highly selective universities.  But I recall when I was teaching, it was a challenge for my students as well, even though I did my best to create an atmosphere where questions and discussion were valued.

This led me to think about the difficulty many students have with asking questions, either online or in class.  Many seem to have a deep fear of asking "the dumb question" or just generally appearing stupid in front of their peers.  Asking questions in public seems to me to be a leadership issue.  Because asking questions can help lead a group to better understanding, it is a truly valuable skill.  And because it requires some bravery to overcome the "dumb question" fear, we should all value those who are willing to take this step.

For those of you who are practicing your leadership skills, asking a question or posting an opinion on this blog might be a great way to improve your skills.  Hint, hint!

No comments:

Post a Comment