Friday, August 2, 2013

What To Do When You're Tired

I'm tired today.  I've been pushing hard this week, and I didn't sleep all that well last night.  But I'm still at work and trying to be as productive as I can.  So what should you do when you are tired?
  • Get some rest.  This seems obvious, but I'm constantly surprised at the number of people who push themselves through day after tired day without addressing the underlying problem.  I'll definitely sleep well tonight.  I make sleep and rest a priority, because I know I work best when I'm rested.
  • Do something fun or relaxing.  I've got a weekend coming up, and I definitely want to enjoy myself.  Relaxing is different than sleeping.  It involves really getting away from work and giving yourself the down time you need.  I have a hobby that I enjoy, so I'll spend time on that this weekend.  Try to turn your brain away from work so that when you return to work, you'll be refreshed.
  • Get some of the easy stuff out of the way.  This can be dangerous advice, because I can easily be tempted to spend way too much time on the easy stuff and never get to the important and more difficult work.  But on a day like today, when I know I'm not at my peak, clearing away some of the things that must be done but don't take too much brain power seems like a good strategy.
  • Get up and move.  Walk around to clear your head.  Talk with a colleague.  Moving your body helps clear your mind.  Even a five-minute break can help.
  • Get some help.  If you find that you are having more than an occasional tired day, you may need some help to make a major change in your life.  Seek advice from someone you trust.  Ask your manager to help you look at your work load and determine what could change.  If you think you might be depressed or ill, seek professional advice.
I'll be back on Monday, and I'm sure it will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment