Friday, July 12, 2013

Push and Pull for Change

I have been thinking about implementing change lately.  Change often requires some push and pull between those who want the change and those who object to it.  Frequently this seems to be management pushing and staff pulling, but I have been pulled by other managers or customers, too.

Often I find this frustrating.  I have this great idea, so why can't these other people see how great it is and jump on board with me?  Why are they trying to slow me down?  Why do I have to hear all of these objections and detailed concerns?  Let's just do it!

Of course, in my saner moments I see great value in this push and pull.  I have had experiences of implementing change without giving the push and pull enough time, and occasionally I've had to back out or cancel the change entirely.  I try to remind myself often to slow down and listen to concerns.

At the same time, I hope that those who often resist change might come to see the value in trying out new ideas and strategies.  If you are the type of person who often starts at NO, you might consider trying to start more often at MAYBE.

I also hear concerns about not having change completely thought out in advance of trying to implement it.  I agree that thoughtful planning is very valuable.  Nevertheless, sometimes it can be hard to see exactly how something is going to roll out until you get into the middle of it.  I like incremental improvements in some situations.  So I invite others to become a part of the change and add strategies and improvements of your own along the way.

Pushing and pulling is a natural part of change.  In most cases, we can work together to make a good change by not pushing or pulling too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment