Friday, February 8, 2013

Good Leaders Are Inspiring

This week I encountered a very interesting article, "The #1 Fatal Flaw of Uninspiring Leaders," by Joe Folkman of the Zenger | Folkman Blog.  According to the author, this #1 flaw is "lack of energy and enthusiasm."  I recommend you read this article for some very interesting details.

What seemed particularly interesting to me is that people tend to cluster according to their happiness level;  happy people cluster together and unhappy people cluster together.  There is an interesting graph in this article that demonstrates this phenomenon.

I think I am basically pretty happy, and I find that optimism is one of my traits that helps me the most.  Sure, I have my grumpy days, and I have people that I don't like that much.  But mostly I find that if I can hold onto the idea that things will turn out okay, it helps me keep my energy and enthusiasm up.

I am lucky to work with a group of people who have many talents and skills.  I have a lot of faith in them.  Collectively we can do things that no one of us is able to do.  I am enthusiastic about technology, but I am even more enthusiastic about the staff in ITSS.

So take a minute to think about the cluster of people you spend the most time with.  Are they happy or unhappy?  Are you happy or unhappy?  If the answer is unhappy, take a crack at ratcheting up your energy and enthusiasm.  Does it have a positive impact on your group?  Does it make work more fun as well as productive?  I'll be interested to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment